Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Chicago Get Lucky 7k Race Report

So, March 16 was the Get Lucky 7k. Last year, I ran the Half Marathon version, but due to injuries, I decided to just hit the 7k this year. HUGE difference in weather. Last year, it was 83 degrees. This year, about 33. The walk over from the train was awful... I could not get warm.

When I got to the gear check in, there was a major issue. A line about 300 yards long. TO CHECK IN A BAG! Come on Team Ortho. Get on that. Inexcusable, especially in the cold.
The ground was wet so there really wasn't anywhere to stretch that was off course. So before our race started, I walked down the first 300 feet or so and just sat down on the path and stretched. Got in my half mile warm-up as well.

Decided to start up front as I figured I would be one of the faster people (by comparison). My toes literally didn't warm up until we were a mile in. I felt pretty strong and I like running on the lakefront path, so it was all good in the first half. However, when we made the turn to come back, it was directly into a head wind. Ugh... Finished strong, though, with the last 1/4 mile under 7:00 pace. The course was supposed to be 4.35 miles by my calculation but actually ended up a tenth of a mile longer. (That's the second race I've been in that that's happened in. How do you miscalculate that as an event planner?)

All in all, it was fun. I finished 3/72 in my age group, which I was very pleased with.  My time was 34:44 which wasn't too bad. There were certainly some better runners in this race as opposed to last year, so the field was definitely stronger. Team Ortho gives out some really good swag and the hoodies look great, although I think I liked last years medals better.




I'll definitely be doing the Chicago Monster Dash in the Fall again. Color me excited... and green... :)


No comments:

Post a Comment